Local Gentry
Music Discussion
Ahh, Forget It
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Topic Tags 
There are no Forum Tags

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cubist

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

thanks for this -sounds most intriguing!
Nick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

IanWagner wrote:

I couldn't agree more. You also need to hear the Leonard Cohen he produced, if you haven't, as well as the amazing Cher single.

One--the Dion LP was a great choice for upload, great to see people loving it!

Two--do you have 'A Woman's Story' to upload?? I would love, love to hear that.
Jeff Mason

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:48 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
I know the big draw for the album is the Spector presence, but as a Dion fan, I don't really care. The album is sorta disjointed. It's all good, but Dion didn't really need Spector's help. In fact, I prefer the non-Spector cuts. If you do too, you may have a future as an honorary Dion Dimucci fan. He's got alot of other fine albums out there, unfortunately without a big name producer that catch people's attention. Go find his self-titled '68 album featuring 'Abraham, Martin and John'. Check out his strong folk album, "Sanctuary". And, if you aren't scared off by Christian themed songs that are as catchy as crabs from a Newark 7-11 toilet seat, check out "Inside Job". Dion penned every song on that one himself and they are all winners. Like that shiny late 80's sound? Dion's "comeback" album "Yo Frankie" can be found on ebay and from Amazon dealers for mere pocket change. It has his epic masterpiece, "King of the New York Streets". The live version recorded in some club in 1996 and featured on the "Dion & Lil' Kings" album is smokin'. It sounds more like Dion and Crazy Horse. Hardcore shit. You like that Bob Dylan 'Blonde on Blonde' sound? Well, Dion was cutting down and dirty blues records for Columbia as early as 1964. They didn't release half of 'em, but if you can locate the out of print compliation, "The Road I'm On", you'll hear some bad ass reverberating backstreet rock and blues the nature of which can change the course of your entire life.

Listen to me people. I know what I'm talking about. I'd give you a sampling, if I had access to my CD library and an small inkling of how to use rapidshare. Can't do shit from work, which is pretty much the only time I get to talk to y'all.

Bubba, PM me if you need help with SendSpace. I need to hear the Dion stuff, for me the Christian stuff almost especially.
audiomark

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 4:36 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Anyone ever hear Dion's folk-rock Lp "I Can't Help But Wonder Where I'm Bound"? Cut for Columbia I believe around 64/65. My Uncle had this LP and I remember liking it as a young'un. Haven't heard it in years. I think all or part of it was re-issued as "Bronx Blues" a few years ago. Christ, this joint brings back memories.
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Yep, it's a good album, even though it was an attept by Columbia to cash-in on the popularity of "Abraham, Martin & John". Released in '68, cut between 64-66. I like the cover of the heroin-hooked, bearded Dion.

I wish Columbia/Sony Legacy would release a box set of all the recordings he cut for them. There are more in the can. Andrew Sandoval actually has documented all of Dion's Columbia sessions. You can read it here:

http://members.lycos.co.uk/steveislip/index.html

I suppose it's a miracle that there are 2 comps out there already of his "blues" period. [/img]
Lana

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

third coast wrote:
Are you guys sure it was never released in the States? Because I remember seeing it in stores. Never heard it before, unfortunately. Wish I had; it would have had a special place all these years. Not sure it would have hit big in the U.S., because Dion was typecast by '74 and it wouldn't have fit many radio formats of the day. Thanks for posting it!

Does it only have eight songs?

I've read that in more than one place that it was never released in the US due to a dispute between Spector and Dion. One is the Mark Ribowski Spector biography, another is one of the All Music reviews. It was apparently quite an issue. However, it may have found its way to record stores as an import. I recall shopping for records, pre-CD days, and finding imports mixed in with domestic releases. They weren't always priced higher than domestic records, and didn't always have any kind of sticker. You'd have to really look to see it was an import. If the information is incorrect, it would have to be tracked down. I couldn't find any clearcut info other than those two sources.
DavidLeeRoth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Thanks Ian after reading about this album in tearing down the Wall of Sound I'm even more stoked to hear it.

DLR
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Okay, gang, I’m gonna turn you on to Dion. I’m not going to deliver full albums of material, since you can still buy them pretty easily from Amazon or eBay. Besides, there are far too many good songs to choose from. We’d be at it all day. The man has a massive body of work. All I’m going to do is give you a taste of the many faces of Dion Dimucci. If you like what you hear, put some cash in the man’s pocket and pick up one of his many 2-fer CDs from ACE records. I won’t include anything from the Born to Be With You 2-fer, since most of you seem to be familiar with it already.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jaismf

1. Born To Cry (from 1962’s “Lovers Who Wander” album)
2. Knowing I Won’t Go Back There (September 20, 1965)
3. Spoonful (1965 single, cut 4/65)
4. Berimbau (1966 – from Dion & Belmonts Together Again reunion album)
5. The Dolphins (from 1968’s “Dion” album)
6. Santcuary (From 1971 “Sancutary” album)
7. Soft Parade of Years (Suite for Late Summer 1972)
8. I Used To Be a Brooklyn Dodger (1978’s “Return of the Wanderer”)
9. Center Of My Life (1980’s “Inside Job)
10.The Truth Will Set You Free (1980’s “Inside Job)
11. King of The New York Streets (Originally from 1987’s, “Yo Frankie” album, this is a live version from “Dion & Lil’ Kings” album, recorded 1996...oldies act? As if.)

If this living legend comes to your town, do not miss him. Seriously. How many 50's rock and rollers are still out there doing it? Dion's music is alive and well and so is he. Be thankful he's still here and still giving.
Jeff Van Oockel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It's a great album. I adore it. The Lenny Cohen effort I like less, because the production is sub-standard, and there are a few very dodgy titles on it. Diehards might want to have it for the opening track, which is great (a duet with Ronee Blakely).
alan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Jeff Van Oockel wrote:
It's a great album. I adore it. The Lenny Cohen effort I like less, because the production is sub-standard, and there are a few very dodgy titles on it. Diehards might want to have it for the opening track, which is great (a duet with Ronee Blakely).

Lenny? Shocked
Bubba Ho-Tep

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

No Dion converts, eh? I tried.... Sad
MoogDroog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

It's a fucking wonderful album. Even more so when you've just come out of a big relationship - it destroyed me a few weeks ago.

Downloading your comp now Bubba, thanks! I downloaded the 3cd boxset a while back but only really got acquainted with the first disc. Nice to see Born To Cry on your comp but the real hit for me was Baby I'm In The Mood For You, which is just awesome:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/ecdqz8
Jake

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

I'll be downloading it as soon as I get home from work Bubba, Thanks.
IanWagner

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:
No Dion converts, eh? I tried.... Sad

Already loved him! Great selection you provided, though, and everyone should grab it. One of the Top 10 Rock Underrateds.
Primey Prime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: If a post contains some illegal issues you may abuse on it - just click Abuse and fill the form Reply with quote

Bubba Ho-Tep wrote:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/jaismf

1. Born To Cry (from 1962’s “Lovers Who Wander” album)
2. Knowing I Won’t Go Back There (September 20, 1965)
3. Spoonful (1965 single, cut 4/65)
4. Berimbau (1966 – from Dion & Belmonts Together Again reunion album)
5. The Dolphins (from 1968’s “Dion” album)
6. Santcuary (From 1971 “Sancutary” album)
7. Soft Parade of Years (Suite for Late Summer 1972)
8. I Used To Be a Brooklyn Dodger (1978’s “Return of the Wanderer”)
9. Center Of My Life (1980’s “Inside Job)
10.The Truth Will Set You Free (1980’s “Inside Job)
11. King of The New York Streets (Originally from 1987’s, “Yo Frankie” album, this is a live version from “Dion & Lil’ Kings” album, recorded 1996...oldies act? As if.)

Thoroughly enjoying this, thank you. On 'Dolphins' now. So different from other versions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Local Gentry Forum Index -> -> The Record Room All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: